PORTRAIT DIPPED IN RAIN




Weekend, anytime,
Some year past,
Hot muggy anyday,
East Rogers Park, Chicago
Bottom of W Morse Avenue
Fertile slap of cultivated green
In between the avenue’s end
And timeless awe-awaiting Lake Michigan.
Kids playing, couples trading secrets,
Rich tie-dye types comparing neighbor notes,
Shirtless students tossing footballs and quips,
Cycles zipping, barking laugh yaps fizzing.
Stretching the hot hazy air a long brown hair
Beautiful young woman in a black bikini barefoot
Alone, perfect millennia-honed smooth roll
Of eye-easy genetics with everything
Just right where it should be flowing,
Tight taut tummy, well-exercised, white,
Mid-20s, wearing glasses, hot lucid swarm of
Estrogenerated circus acrobat precision abandon,
Cartwheels, handstands, grandstands, backflips
Gutgrips, heartrips, vision-strippers,
Effortless attention-gripper, doing it all
And more or less without a safety net
There by herself, started running
Round the square of heated park grass
When a Sudden! Heatbreak! Thunderclap!
Groaning afternoon heat interrupted by a
Chance heady shower stormburst and
Laughingly pelted everybody there, causing
Instant laughs and shrieks and immediate
Run-every-which-ways to get away indoors
Under shelter, undercover thwarted sunslammers,
Their all-directions-pelting making them look
Like drunk racers who had all gone off the
Wrong way at the starter gun thundercrack.
But not gyrate and vibrate lady, she just
Kept right on flowing and going as the park
Emptied out, and all of a perfect sudden
It was just me and her a hundred yards apart,
Me smiling secretly across the lecherous downpour
And she kept flipping and skipping and hopping and
Downpouring rivulets trickling down her body towards a
Wider untamed vista of wet internal sex and sea running
Round the grass edge, and when she passed me I
Applauded her to not a tremor of facial emotion,
Leaving me feeling like a total bloody clown and fool,
Like I had violated some unwritten rule somehow
And they never explain these moments in advance.
But the next time she came round my way she ran
Behind me, and I didn’t turn round and I didn’t applaud
Let the defeated thunder and sizzling aroused ozone
Do the appreciative clapping, her still acutely
Aware of my presence as she moved away to her
Original straight-across-from-me spot, stretching,
Bending, throwing her hands in the air, twirling,
Whirling, twisting me round her little finger
For a few impatient always-mobile moments more,
Then at the seeming end of forever show
She strode purposefully across the grass on an
Intersection path just a half-dozen yards from me,
Close-up, oh fuck, beauty overdose, heart attack,
Didn’t look at me as she passed, just took her glasses off and
Swept her long brown hair back away from her all-knowing face
Sodden locks soakslapping onto her shoulders
Totally revealing her fuck-you female features
Showing me her pride, what she was all about,
Putting me in my place, and acknowledging my
Applause, thanks, hope you enjoyed the wet
Slippy floorshow, I just conquered the world, bye bye.
And then she was gone forever and my head was swimming,
She’ll be mind-etched until eternal lights out, cut crystal clear,
The most expensive woman in the world free right there
But you could never touch or have or hold her
And neither would you want to because
When an illuminating vision blinds your
Previously blinkered vision you sure
As hell don’t want to go picking
The corners apart to see
Where the beauty
Would rain and
Drain out and
Dry your
Day.









Comments